Creating a CVL@M3 account
Overview of the process
- Log in to the HPC ID (this system manage CVL@M3 accounts)
- Create a CVL@M3 account
- Create or join a CVL project
- Set your CVL@M3 account password
- Log on to a CVL desktop
Log in to the HPC ID system
The HPC ID system manages accounts for the CVL. Once you have logged in to HPC ID you can create a CVL account.
- Log in to the HPC ID system
- Select your organisation (hint: start typing in the search field to initiate the autocomplete function). Once you’ve found your organisation select the [Continue to your organisation] button. Note, if your organisation doesn’t display in the AAF Discovery Service contact the MASSIVE helpdesk.
Fig. 1: step 1 - select your organisation
- You will be presented with the login form for the selected organisation. Enter your authentication credentials for your organisation.
Fig. 2: step 2 - enter the username and password for your organisation (note, example uses Monash Uni. login)
- The first time you attempt to access the HPC ID service it will ask you for permission to access the information provided by your organisation’s login process (typically your name and email address). This information will be used by the HPC service to authenticate you on to its system and create your HPC ID account. The form may also provide you with a range of release consent duration periods, in which case you should select one and select the [Accept] button to proceed.
Fig. 3: step 3 - Attribute release form
Create a CVL@M3 account
Once you've logged in to the HPC ID system, you can begin the process of creating a CVL@M3 user account.
- Select a username for your CVL@M3 account from the options available in the drop down list. Hit [Select].
- Note that you will access your account on the HPC ID system with your organisational credentials, but may have a different username and password for your CVL@M3 account.
Fig. 4: step 1 - select a username for your CVL@M3 account
- The next screen is your account's Home page on the HPC ID portal
Fig. 5: step 2 - Account Home on Monash HPC ID portal
Note: In order to access a CVL@M3 desktop you will first have to create or join a project.
Create or join a CVL project
You require an active project in order to access a CVL desktop. CVL projects have codes, typically in the form of ab12, or character character number number. If you have been provided with a project code, click on the [Join existing projects] button and enter the code. If you do not know the project code, consult your project leader.
If you need to start a new project follow the instructions below - i.e. do not select the [Create project group] button:
- Phd/RDH students must ask their supervisor(s) to apply for a new project
- Staff members (e.g. supervisors and CIs) should email the MASSIVE helpdesk to request a new project to be created.
Set your CVL@M3 account password
You will have to set your CVL@M3 account password before you can access a CVL desktop. Note that this password is NOT the same as your organisational login password, it is specific to the HPC systems. Never disclose your password to anyone, including the MASSIVE helpdesk!
To change or reset your password, select the [Change Linux Password] button in the right hand panel of your account Home page. This is your HPC password, to be used for HPC services including SSH access for M3 (i.e. once your request for an account has been approved). Note that MASSIVE does not store your organisational password through the AAF login.
Log in to a CVL desktop
Once your account has been provisioned you will receive an email from the MASSIVE helpdesk with further instructions.
See also the Getting started on the CVL Desktop page for instructions on how to connect to a CVL desktop.
For assistance with accounts and getting started with the CVL, contact the MASSIVE helpdesk.