Getting started on the CVL@M3 Desktop
This page includes Instructions for researchers on how to get started with CVL@M3 and access over 300 scientific imaging tools through the CVL Desktop. Technical user guides for using MASSIVE and CVL@M3 can be found on the HPC documentation site.
Getting started on a CVL desktop involves four easy steps:
- Create a CVL account on M3
- Create or join a CVL@M3 project
- Set your CVL@M3 account password
- Connect to a CVL@M3 desktop
To access a CVL desktop you require an account with the MASSIVE (M3) service. Go to the Create a CVL account on M3 page for further instructions on how to request an account and set up your password.
Connecting to a CVL@M3 desktop
There are several ways you can connect to a CVL desktop using either SSH or a virtual desktop, which you access via Strudel. Strudel is a cross-platform application that is used to access interactive desktop sessions on the high performance computing systems and cloud environments used by MASSIVE and the CVL.
If you want to use the CVL Desktop, installing the Strudel Desktop application is optional as there is also a Strudel Web service (note: if you experience slow connection speeds using the web client, you may find that installing and using the local client improves performance).
- Connecting to a CVL@M3 desktop using Strudel Web
- Connecting to a CVL@M3 desktop using the Strudel Desktop application
- Connecting to the CVL@M3 via SSH
Strudel is a cross-platform application that is used to access interactive desktop sessions on the high performance computing systems and cloud environments used by the CVL.
There are two options for launching a desktop: using the Strudel web client or installing the Strudel application on your machine. The pros and cons for each are:
- Strudel Web:
- Pros: quick and easy, no install required
- Cons: cut and paste is performed via a pop up; no control over desktop resolution; some processes may run more slowly than they would using the installed application
- Strudel Desktop:
- Pros: some processes may run faster than they would using the web client
- Cons: requires software installation and maintenance
If you’d like advice on which client might be best for your purposes contact the MASSIVE helpdesk.